Spring has finally, mercifully arrived, as it comes every year to remind me why we love this place so much. The 50-60 degree days are my very favorite. All sunshine and fresh breezes before the tree canopy re-establishes itself and the cankerworms descend. We reach for lighter and lighter coats until the sleeves come off and school is out and another year has slipped through our fingers once more. So I am holding on tight to this eighth month of our little one’s life, now earth-side nearly as long as he was inside.
Misha is doing well for someone operating on so little sleep. Much better than Vance or I, who are running pretty ragged after eight solid months never getting more than three hours of uninterrupted rest. Of course it’s worth it. Of course we’re grateful. Even at 2 am when we’re nursing or singing or bouncing or begging
or bribing the baby to go back to bed.
But we’re also very, awfully tired. Parenthood is joy and bliss and gratitude and singing made-up songs off-key. It's hard work and team work and ALL THE FEELS and also, sometimes, it's suffering.
This month we introduced more flavors into Misha’s world. Mangoes, sweet potatoes, avocado, beans, rice, and the occasional bite of biscuit or french fry. He mostly hates all of it. Looks at us as if to say, “how COULD you!” and eventually resorts to yelling with a mouth full of food he refuses to swallow. And it is the cutest thing.
- Total teeth: 2
- Size: 6-12 month, though we’re still getting some life out of the 3-6 month stuff in some brands and moving on to 12-month in others (::cough:: Kate Quinn ::cough::).
- Crawling: Sort of. If I’m having to chase him around the room, I’m counting it.
- Pumped milk consumption at daycare each day: 12 oz.
- Favorite solid food: Black beans, which mostly get smooshed between his fingers and eventually end up in his neck folds.
- Favorite book: Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
- Favorite toys: BeginAgain toys Nubbles and Green Sprouts Stacking Cups
- Least favorite thing: When mom gets out the snot-sucker
- Vance’s favorite baby-settling technique: Reciting his upcoming keynote speech.
- My favorite baby-settling technique: Handing baby to Vance. ;)
Misha is trying to sleep. For very small values of trying.